Pet-Friendly Tybee Island
Tybee Island’s biggest attraction is the five miles of stunning beaches that stretch from the historic Tybee Island Lighthouse in the north to the Tybee Pier in the South, yet sadly your furry friends are not allowed to play in the surf and sand – pets are not allowed on the beaches and doing so will result in a hefty fine!
BUT … do not cross Tybee Island off your list of pet-friendly vacation destinations as there are plenty of other fun things to do and see with your four-legged friend in and around Tybee Island. Tybee Beach Vacation Rentals has a large variety of pet-friendly vacation rentals that allow you to bring along your fur-baby. Combined with our top pick of pet-friendly attractions and activities, you’re in for a tail-wagging vacation on Tybee Island.
Pet-Friendly Things to Do on Tybee Island
Go For a Walk: The pedestrian-friendly village, sidewalks and streets of Tybee Island are pet-friendly and your leashed pet is welcome to explore the island with you. Stroll through the old neighborhood streets, browse the village stores, people watch at the pier and pavilion or explore the waterfront and marshes. A great way to start your vacation and familiarize yourself with our beautiful barrier island.
Play in the Sand on Little Tybee Island: You don’t need to venture far from Tybee Island for your pooch to play in the sand. Accessible by kayak or boat, Little Tybee Island is perfect for wading in the water, digging in the sand and chasing a frisbee. Remember to leave only paw prints behind.
Discover Historical Cockspur Island: Take a trip to Cockspur Island, home to the famous, pet-friendly Fort Pulaski National Monument and the smallest lighthouse in Georgia, The Cockspur Island Lighthouse. Pets are welcome both in the fort and the historic grounds.
More Things to Do With Your Pooch
Tybee is a wonderful place to visit any time of the year, depending on the weather you like to vacation in! If you prefer warm, sunny, beautiful beach days filled with sandcastles and sea kayaking, then spring and summer are definitely your best bet. If you’re looking to check out the numerous historic haunted attractions in the Savannah and Tybee area, then a spooky fall evening on a guided ghost tour is the way to go. And there is simply nothing better than escaping a cold, harsh, winter, with a cocktail in hand and your toes in the sand!
See what Tybee weather is like all year round and find the perfect time for you.
More Things to Do With Your Pooch
Hike The Trails
There are several pet-friendly nature trails surrounding Fort Pulaski, plenty of shade to stay cool and a small beach area on the backside of the island to wade the waters with your pooch. Take the short Fort Perimeter Trail that loops around the fort following the moat, view the remains of the historic north pier on the North Pier Trail or crosses the historic dike to get a close view of the lighthouse on the Lighthouse Trail.
Take the Picnic Area Trail to rest in the shade of the trees and join up with the Historic Dike Trail with unparalleled views of Cockspur Island and the Savannah River. For a longer hike, let your pooch lead the way on the 4-mile Fishing Pier Trail across the south channel of the Savannah River to the Fishing Pier.
Explore the natural waters of Tybee Island on a pet-friendly Kayak Tour. Paddle to the uninhabited island of Little Tybee or through Lazaretto Creek into Dolphin Bay, or beachcomb the sands of Drift Wood Beach. There are many pet-friendly outfitters that will welcome your canine companion.
Captain Mike’s Dolphin Tours
Your furry four-legged friend is welcome to join you as you take to the waters to spot the friendly dolphins. If they are comfortable on the water, leashed and under control, they are welcome on Captain Mike’s Dolphin Tours as you cruise the waters enjoying the attractions and wildlife of Tybee Island.
Oliver Bentleys Historic Dog Walk Tour - Savannah
Sniff around Savannah on The Oliver Bentleys Historic Dog Walk Tour. Embark on a Tour of Tales as you explore the streets of historic Savannah with your furry friend. This one-mile, 90-minute tour is designed and tailored for those traveling with their pets with the added bonus of a bag of Ollie B. Biscuits for Fido!
Tybee Island has two bark parks open from dawn to dusk and in close proximity to each other. Fort Street is the place to play for the small breeds under 20lbs with an off-leash running space and ample shade. The big boys have plenty of space to sniff around at the Tybee Island Dog Park on Van Horne Street. There is a limit of 2 dogs per handler.
Heading to Savannah for the day? Let your pooch play off-leash at the Herty Pines Dog Park or Mother Matilda Beasley Dog Park.
Doggy Day Care
When the ocean water beckons there is no need to worry or leave your best friend alone! Your pooch will delight in a day of socializing, play and even pampering at Paws Doggie Day Spa, only 10 minutes from Tybee giving his human time to play in the sand.
Pet-Friendly Restaurants & Places to Eat
It’s chow time and there are over a dozen pet-friendly cafés and restaurants on Tybee Island dishing up traditional southern sides, fried seafood, oyster platters, tasty taco’s and so much more. Your pooch is welcome at many of the local eateries with outdoor patios. We suggest you call first to confirm and book a space.
- A-J’s Dockside Restaurant – 1315 Chatham Ave, Tybee Island, Tel: 912-786-9533
- Bernie’s Oyster House – 13 16th St, Tybee Island, Tel: 912-786-5100
- Bubba Gumbo’s – 1 Old US Hwy 80, Tybee Island, Tel: 912-786-4445
- CoCo’s Sunset Grille – 1A Old US Hwy 80, Tybee Island, Tel: 912-786-7810
- Fannies on the Beach – 1613 Strand Ave, Tybee Island, Tel: 912-786-6109
- Gerald’s Pig & Shrimp – 1115 US-80, Tybee Island, Tel: 912-786-4227
- Huca Poo’s – 1213 US-80, Tybee Island, Tel: 912-786-5900
- Lighthouse Pizza – 15 Tybrisa St – Tybee Island, Tel: 912-786-9874
- North Beach Bar & Grill – 33 Meddin Dr, Tybee Island, Tel: 912-786-4442
- Sting Ray’s Seafood – 1403 Butler Ave, Tybee Island, Tel: 912-786-0209
- The Crab Shack – 40 Estill Hammock Rd – Tybee Island, Tel: 912-786-9857
- Tybean Art & Coffee Bar – 1213 Old US Highway 80, Tybee Island, Tel: 912-224-5227
- Tybee Island Social Club – 1311 Butler Ave, Tybee Island, Tel: 912-472-4044
- Sugar Shack – 301 1st St, Tybee Island, Tel: 912-786-4482
Please Follows the Rules So You & Your Dog Can Have a Great Vacation
- The beaches are completely off-limits so don’t chance it, the fines are hefty starting at $200 for a first offense. This includes the walkover areas which are under the authority of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.
- Your dog must remain on a leash at all times in public spaces.
- Please pick up after your dogs and leave only paw prints.
- The Tybee Island Noise Ordinance includes dogs barking and, again, a hefty fine of $300 will be handed out if the neighbors complain.